Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Entrepreneurship in Engineering
|Course code: BN417||
Entry Route into programme:
|Duration: 2 years (4 Semesters)|
|NFQ level: 8|
|Fee: €2,500 per year|
|Schedule: Online Recorded Lectures , Mon & Wed, 5pm-9pm. 3 practical sessions per semester. "Entrepreneurship Lab" available to those who require incubation space.|
|Award title: Bachelor of Science (Honours)|
|Credits for Full Award: 60 @ NFQ Level 8|
|Awarding Body: ITB|
This course is not being offered in the academic year starting Sept 2013.
Interested in applying for any of our other programmes ?
See our Course Finder
If you have any queries get in touch with our Marketing team on
01 885 1530 or e-mail: email@example.com
This unique Level 8 add on programme
is open to Level 7 graduates Engineering
disciplines. It is a multidisciplinary programme that aims to develop not only core engineering competencies but also essential knowledge and skills to recognise and pursue business opportunities. Students entering the programme will be expected to develop both the technical and commercial aspects of their idea.
Who should apply?
Every successful engineering graduate needs to be ‘entrepreneurial’ so that they can explain the applications and commercial potential of their ideas and gain support for the projects they wish to pursue. Any engineer, therefore, who wises to develop critical skills for entrepreneurship either as an employee or an employer should consider this programme as a real option for exploring an entrepreneurial career.
The minimum academic requirement is a Level 7 Engineering degree from any discipline. In addition, all applicants will be assessed to determine their motivation and aptitude for entrepreneurship. This assessment will be used to prioritise participants.
Employment Potential for Graduates
The scenario in which the multinational
of the 1990’s who hired graduates for
low technological absorptive capacity
jobs is no longer relevant in the “smart”
economy”. Employers seek graduates
with excellent technical skills that have
the entrepreneurial capacity to make
things happen. Graduates of the proposed
programme, therefore, will have a number of options to them:
- they will have the confidence to pursue
an entrepreneurial career and, in-time,
champion new start-ups and become
• they will have the flexibility and entrepreneurial capacity to work and deploy their expertise in SME’s not just multinationals;
• they can be particularly effective in an “intrapreneurial” context at high technology multinationals who wish to maintain flexible management structures and a strong “collegiatelike” innovation culture;
• they may a choose to progress their enterprise development initiatives further by pursuing the MSc in Technology Entrepreneurship.
The programme structure is designed to
mimic as far as possible the development
process experienced by entrepreneurs in a commercial environment. The course, therefore, is focused around the experiential process of developing a technology business idea. Support modules in business and financial literacy along with elective modules in engineering provide the framework for entrepreneurial learning.
|Business Support Modules|
|Elective Module 1||Creativity, Innovation and Teamwork||Sales and Marketing|
|Engineering Project 1||Enterprise & Operations|
|New Venture Development 1|
Elective Module 2
|New Venture Finance|
|Engineering Project 2||Legal IP and Commercialisation|
|New Venture Development 2|
The programme will provide access
to hot-desks, design labs, enterprise
expertise and engineering workshops
to build prototypes and develop your
• Relate theory to practice through a number of taught workshop-style modules in innovation, finance, sales, marketing, intellectual property and operations.
• Emphasis on indoor and outdoor problem-solving activities designed to unlock your creative potential and enhance your team-working and leadership skills.
• Progress to one-year MSc in Technology Entrepreneurship and commercialise your idea.
How to Apply ?
Download the Application form or
Apply Online Now
For further details please contact the marketing team on 01 885 1000 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.